Windows Defender is also known as Microsoft Defender Antivirus in newer versions of Windows 10.
You can check Windows security to see if it is enabled. These include embedded spyware, rootkit, ransomware, cloud protection.
The best way to permanently disable Microsoft Defender is to use the local Group Policy Editor and registry settings.
It should work with the 20H2 and 2004 versions. Compared to the 1909 version, some elements have changed.
But I have successfully checked and disabled my 64-bit desktop on Windows 10 with the latest updated version.
The Group Policy Solution is only available in the Pro version if you have administrator rights. Editing the registry also works in Windows 10 Home.
- Why is Microsoft Defender essential?
- Why do I need to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows 10?
- First steps to disable Microsoft Defender
- Permanently disable Microsoft Defender using the Group Policy editor
- Disable Microsoft Defender through Registry Settings
- Turn off Microsoft Defender temporarily in Windows 10
- Using the automatic start method
- Using PowerShell
- Failed attempts to disable Microsoft Defender in Windows 10
- My personal experience
Why is Microsoft Defender essential?
As soon as a file or application contains a virus, it is automatically scanned and the necessary measures are taken. You can either quarantine the file or delete it immediately. It protects your computer against all types of viruses.
The best antivirus solution for all types of desktop and laptop users. If you want to know if it works, open Windows Security in the system tray. Otherwise, you can use the Windows 10 search window.
Go to Settings > Manage provider. You can see that the Microsoft Defender virus protection is enabled. That means it’s on, working and operational.
Other tools also protect against unwanted applications, files and websites. Device security and application browser control are also important. Microsoft account security is a part of Windows security.
Why do I need to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows 10?
Although this security solution provides excellent protection against all types of threats, you need additional protection. In this case, it is best to turn to third-party solutions, such as Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Norton Anti-Virus, Bit-Saver Anti-Virus and ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus.
I use the paid version of Bitdefender Internet Security 2020.
I want to completely disable Windows Defender and Windows Defender Firewall. I’ve already done the current Macrium backup and I’m ready to take the plunge. I’ve already tried the registration method….. It disabled the antivirus, but not the Windows Defender firewall.
Source : tenforums.com
When you install it, Microsoft Defender is automatically disabled. This is the performance protection provided by Microsoft to prevent two or more antivirus programs from running simultaneously.
It would be best if you can ensure that only one antivirus is running on a machine. Otherwise, speed issues and other bottlenecks will slow down the system.
Otherwise, do not install software or applications that conflict with Microsoft’s built-in antivirus solution. You can then temporarily disable the AV and install the necessary software. When you are finished, return the AV to the normal position.
In other cases, users have complained that Microsoft Defender has slowed down their computer. It required more resources in terms of CPU and RAM. This was in some earlier versions of 1809 or 1803. But now it doesn’t take long and I use it with ease on the 20H2 version.
In this guide, we’ll look at three ways to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10.
First steps to disable Microsoft Defender
For methods 1 and 2 to work in the 20H2, tamper protection must be disabled. This option was not available in previous editions. However, to protect your computer from outside intrusion, Microsoft has made sure that Windows security settings are not automatically disabled.
To disable Microsoft Defender in Windows 10, first disable self-protection.
1 – Click on the screen icon in the system tray.
2 – Click on Protect against viruses and threats.
3 – On the right side, under the Virus and Threat Protection settings, click on Manage Settings.
4 – On the next screen, scroll down until you see the tamper protection. By default, it is illuminated and blue.
5 – Drag the slider to the left to turn it off.
These steps should be applied to the following two methods to permanently disable Windows Defender. If you feel like turning it on, you can turn it back on.
Warning – It is not a good idea to remove the tamper protection for an extended period of time. This makes it vulnerable to various virus and spyware attacks. The system will always be compromised. It is best to install a third-party antivirus program and restore protection against unauthorized access.
Permanently disable Microsoft Defender using the Group Policy editor
- Type Group Policy Editor in the Windows 10 search box.
- Click Edit Group Policy in the Control Panel. (Note: Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box. To open it, type the search command gpedit. msc. Alternatively, you can use the traditional control panel).
- This way, please:
- Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft Defender Antivirus
- Double-click the option to Disable Microsoft Defender antivirus policy.
- Select the Enabled option. Then apply and OK.
- Restart your computer.
It should permanently disable Microsoft Defender. You can also check the Windows security settings to see if they are enabled.
The message that Microsoft Defender is enabled does not appear.
Check if Microsoft Defender is enabled or disabled
You can also try the PowerShell method to see if the antivirus works by default. Open it as an administrator.
- Type PowerShell in the search box and click on the Windows Powershell application.
- Enter the following command.
- Get WinDefend service
- You should see that the status is set.
- Also enter the following command.
- Get the link to
- The record must indicate that the value of DisableRealtimeMonitoring is True.
- This confirms that real time protection is disabled, which is another way of saying that AV is not enabled.
This means that Microsoft Defender no longer works.
Disable Microsoft Defender through Registry Settings
It also worked for me when I tried it on my version of Windows 10 64-bit 20H2 computer.
- In the Run dialog box, type the regedit command. Press Win + R to open it.
- Take the following route –
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Defender
- Right-click on Windows Defender and create a new DWORD value (32-bit).
- Rename the item to DisableAntiSpyware.
- The initial value will be 0. Double-click it and enter 1.
- Restart your computer.
Microsoft Defender is disabled. Otherwise, the activated message will not be displayed. You can check the security of Windows.
If you want to reactivate the AV, delete the above entry or enter 0.
Turn off Microsoft Defender temporarily in Windows 10
This is the best use if you want to install third-party software. If you are a network administrator and install applications, this will also work temporarily.
After the restart, everything went back to normal.
- Type Windows Security in the search box and click on the application.
- Click on Virus and Threat Protection on the left hand side.
- Under Virus and Threat Protection, click Manage Settings.
- Scroll down to see the real-time protection.
- First it turns blue and lights up.
- Move the slider to the left to move the switch to the OFF position.
This temporarily disables Microsoft Defender. Turn it back on if necessary. Turn on the switch. Normalcy has been restored.
Using the automatic start method
This method may work in versions 1909 and earlier. It may also work in the latest Windows 10 updates. But for me personally, it didn’t work for the 20H2.
Download the latest version of Autorunner – ver 13.98.
- Disable tamper protection and real-time protection as described above.
- Now extract the file to see the autorun folder.
- In it, click on the appropriate executable file. For example, run Autoruns64 on a 64-bit computer. If you use other exes, you may get an error message.
- It will take some time to download all the entries. This activates the option at the top of the page.
- Disable all items in the Preferences tab except Hide Empty Areas.
- Filter the content of the entries with the keyword Windows Defender.
- Disable all items except the policy agent in the following locations.
- Task scheduler
- The entries will be slightly different for each update and version of Windows 10. It may also vary depending on your system.
- Finally, reboot to see if it works.
Enter the following commands in the Windows Powershell application. You can open it as described above.
Put the -DiscriminationAutoInclusion link $true
Get-Service WinDefend | Stop-Service -Force
It may work in versions 1709 or 1803. However, it did not work in the latest 2004 or 20H2 version.
Failed attempts to disable Microsoft Defender in Windows 10
I tried disabling it with other methods, but it didn’t work. I don’t think it’s going to work for anyone. But it’s valuable information.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and click on Task Manager.
- You can see Antimalware Service Executable in the Process background section. Click on it to see it – Microsoft Defender Antivirus Service.
- Right click and stop. However, an error message will follow.
- In the same application, click on the Services tab and activate WinDefend.
- This is the Microsoft Defender antivirus service. Try to stop it. But it’s not. It is displayed as running. If you succeed, it will appear as Stopped.
- You can see MsMpEng.exe in the attachment details. This process is also associated with Microsoft Defender. If it’s activated, you can see that it works.
My personal experience
I do not recommend permanently disabling Microsoft Defender. If you wish, you can temporarily disable real-time protection in Windows Security.
In most cases, this is sufficient to install third-party software or applications that Microsoft’s built-in antivirus cannot run.
Another, better option is to install a third-party AV solution, such as Kaspersky or Norton, that meets your needs. This way you can disable Microsoft Defender and further protect your computer from threats.
Do not attempt to use other third-party software solutions to meet your needs. Without Microsoft Defender, your system is vulnerable and unwanted people can create viruses on your system.
I hope you can disable Microsoft Defender without too much trouble.
frequently asked questions
How do I disable Windows Defender in Windows 10?
The windows turn…
How do I disable Windows Defender?
The windows turn…
How do I permanently disable Windows Defender at home on Windows 10?
Open the local Group Policy Editor. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus. in the right pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, double-click the Disable Windows Defender Antivirus policy. select the Enabled option to disable Windows Defender.
Feedback,how to disable windows defender firewall (windows 10),how to turn on windows defender in windows 10,windows defender disable tool,uninstall windows defender windows 10 powershell,permanently disable windows defender windows 10,how to turn off windows defender windows 10 (2020),Privacy settings,How Search works,disable windows defender windows 10 regedit,how to turn off real-time protection windows 10 permanently